This article will cover the basic SEO Checklist setup for a brand new website.
We all know that Google dominates the search engine market, and most of the SEO and marketing is practice under Google webmaster guidelines.
SEO is one of the most critical aspects of digital marketing, and every online business is implementing SEO for better search visibility in Google, Bing, Yahoo search, etc.
But what about SEO for a brand new website? Should we do it? What about Google Sandbox? Will I get to ranking implementing these tools and techniques? I will cover this in a later part of the article.
But here, in this article, I will cover essential SEO checklist that is important to implement for brand new websites.
So let’s dive into SEO Checklist for New Website –
Clean Website Structure
While starting a new project, you must consider a clean website structure because many ranking factors are associated with it.
A clean site structure includes server response time, responsiveness, proper call-to-action buttons; fewer color schemes, and more.
Why is this important?
- With a clean structure, you can focus on what users want to see.
- Websites load faster.
- It makes it easy for visitors to use.
- It helps to increase the conversion rate.
- High user experience.
Basic SEO Tools
The first thing you should set up after a clean site structure is some analytics and SEO plugins.
Analytics tools –
- Google analytics tool.
- Google webmaster tool.
- Bing Webmaster tool.
Google Analytics is a powerful tool that shows website data; you can get audience data, acquisition, behavior, conversions, and more.
Webmasters shows the website errors, most hit pages and keywords, core web vitals, and more.
This information is very vital while planning marketing strategies to achieve your goals.
These tools are free and very powerful.
SEO Plugins (WordPress only) –
- Yoast SEO
- All in one SEO
- Rank Math
These are some of the most popular and essential SEO plugins. Remember, these plugins are only available on WordPress CMS. They come in both free and paid versions.
Why are these important?
Using these plugins, you can create sitemaps, update robot.txt files, update metadata easily, update 404 pages, implement canonical links, and more.
Keyword Research List
Keyword targeting is the most fundamental thing to do in SEO. Without it, your website is not going to rank for the correct terms.
Well, you can start keyword research –
- Listing up some primary (Single word) keywords or money keywords.
- Listing up some long-tail keywords.
While the primary keywords are single words and are more specific to your business, the long-tail keywords are broad and should support your primary keywords.
It is helpful to create more search terms.
Tools & Techniques for finding keywords –
1. Google Keyword planner – Though designed for Google Adwords, it is still beneficial because keywords come directly from Google.
2. Use Google Suggest – Type the keyword of your business and wait for Google to show up more results. Here you can see that what users are already searching for.
3. Use online communities – Such as Reddit, Quora, etc., where you can tap into communities related to your business and analyse what users are looking for.
4. Find & research your competitor – Look for which keywords your competitors are ranking.
5. Find question keywords – These keywords are important because people are looking for these queries, and answering them will increase the chances of search visibility.
Optimizing keywords –
You got a list of keywords for your business; now it is time to select and map them to your website.
Following are the factor should keep in mind while selecting keywords –
1. Analyzing keywords metrics –
- Search Volume.
- Keyword Difficulty.
- CPC (Cost per click).
2. Create keyword map – Find the intent of the webpage, whether the keyword should be using in an onsite blog, service page, or product page, according to the purpose of mapping these keywords.
On-Page SEO Checklist
On-page or onsite optimization is the process done on your website, following the standard of Google webmaster guidelines.
Here is a must needed checklist of on-page for a new website-
- Check for a duplicate version of the website.
- Generate and submit a sitemap.
- Generate short URLs or Slugs.
- Create URL using keywords.
- Include keywords in the front of the Meta title.
- Using title tag modifiers such as best, checklist, top, review, etc.
- Use keywords in H1, H2, etc.
- Avoid using multiple H-tags.
- Add alt tag to the image.
- Use keywords synonyms and LSI words in webpage content.
- Use internal and external links.
- Check for page depth; it should be three clicks away from the homepage.
Technical SEO Checklist
Tech SEO goes more in-depth of a website root, such as an issue from the server-side or checking the crawlability of a website.
Following are the Technical SEO checklist –
- Find crawl error using Google webmaster.
- Inspect URL to check how Google views your page.
- Check if the website is a mobile-friendly site.
- Fix any broken links.
- Check for HTTPS errors and secure the site with a secure protocol.
- Check for site loading speed.
- Find and Fix Redirect Chains and Loops (if any).
We all know that content is the king. And to rank in a search engine, good content is what you need.
Tip – Content should be written for the user while optimizing your keywords. A well-written content that solves the user queries are most likely to achieve a higher ranking in SERP.
Here is the content checklist that you can follow –
- Write blogs using the skyscraper technique.
- Break up long content into short lines (it helps to maintain bounce rate low).
- Cover topic in-depth.
- Use schema mark-ups.
- Use images, charts, infographics, or visual content (if relevant).
Backlinks or Off-Site SEO
Backlinks are an essential part of any SEO setup; they create authority by linking to your website.
You can create backlinks by using an off-page SEO technique, such as –
- High-quality guest posting.
- Competitor backlinks.
- Mention influencers or other content creators.
- Promote content to social media.
- Delete the dummy content or pages before you go live.
- Work page by page.
- Do not leave any page empty or incomplete.
- Avoid using stock images for your website.
- Use a hero section on your website.
- Stay active on social media.
This SEO setup is a basic and mandatory setup for any website.
If you have a very new website, it is essential to work on your website before promoting. You have to check those setups and keep on modification as you go on.
Tip – Don’t push so hard to rank your new website within a month after going live. Instead, make your website valuable; keep on adding what users want.
What is Google Sandbox?
Google Sandbox is a very debatable topic in the SEO community; it says that it is a period where a new website is being prevented from ranking in the SERP.
A website goes to sandbox by overdoing optimization. But Google has never confirmed these officially.
Whether it’s true or not, don’t push your website to over-optimize it. Go slow and optimize step by step.
Will I get a ranking using this guide?
SEO depends on many factors and variables that need to be considered. And organic is SEO always shows unpredictable results. This beginner SEO guide will surely improve your website to a great extent.
Tip – Add this SEO checklist, and keep on improving your website. Maintain KPIs and monitor Google Analytics and webmaster to check for websites errors, etc. Maintain this for 3 to 6 months, without thinking of getting to the first page.
This is a beginner’s SEO best practices checklist for a brand new website. Hopefully, this guide will help your website to improve.
If you have any more to this checklist, then do comment down below.
Note: SEO constantly changes, so we update our blogs accordingly to trend and markets.